SCOUT SECURITY, INC.
Last Updated: October 12, 2014
The Sites are intended for a general audience aged eighteen (18) years and older. If you are under the age of 18, you are prohibited from using the Sites.
Information We Collect
- Information You Provide Directly to Us: (1) you may be asked to directly provide the Company with certain categories of personal information/PII (e.g., your full name, gender, geographic location, shipping and billing addresses, e-mail address, telephone numbers, a "password" (see below), etc.). You may also choose to share additional personal information in public forums or on sign-up forms or certain pages within the Sites. We reserve the right to collect information through, without limitation, account registration forms, e-mail newsletter sign-ups, and information that you provide to us directly via the Sites and mobile applications; (2) statistical information is the type of personal information, provided directly or indirectly, that may be collected from you at any time when you are in contact with the Sites or mobile applications but is not used in connection with your PII; (3) we do not collect your credit card information or other financial information (such as PayPal account information for a transaction), and all credit card transactions are handled by a third party payment processor.
- Information We May Collect during Your Visit to The Sites or Mobile Applications: When you contact the Sites or mobile applications, the Company and its third party service providers may also collect your usage information, including without limitation Site usage and alarm usage information. This usage information may be collected through automated or passive means and may include a variety of technologies that collect information whenever you come into contact with the Sites or mobile applications. For example, these technologies record and collect your browser information, the "click-through URL" that linked you to the Sites or mobile applications, your usage information about pages and/or features that you visited, the date and time of your contact, and other similar information. We may also collect your internet protocol ("IP") address or other automatically assigned identifiers that allow us to identify the device or mechanism through which you contact the Sites or mobile applications. We treat device and mechanism identifiers, as well as your usage information, to be the type of personal information that may be collected from you at any time when you are in contact with the Sites or mobile applications. We may also use this personal information in order to remember you and your preferences. We do not link aggregate data with PII.
- How We Collect Your Personal Information: During your visit to the Sites or mobile applications, we may use the following technologies, without limitation, to collect your personal information: (1) cookies; (2) Flash cookies; (3) small graphic images or web beacons; (4) embedded script; and (5) similar technologies. Cookies are data files placed on the device that is used to access a website. A Flash cookie is a data file placed on a device via a third party plug-in (which may be built into your device or downloaded to your device). Small graphic images or web beacons, other web programming code that may be invisible to you, may be included on the Sites, mobile applications, and in Company e-mail messages. Web beacons may be used to count the number of users accessing the Sites and mobile applications, monitor how users navigate our websites and mobile applications, and count the number of e-mails that were sent and actually opened or the number of particular articles or links that were actually viewed. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Sites or mobile applications (e.g., a link that you click on). We utilize both session and persistent cookies. A session cookie is a code temporarily "dropped" in your browser through which you access the Sites and mobile applications from our web server or a third party service provider, and is only active while you are in contact with the Sites. This code is deactivated or deleted thereafter. A persistent cookie remains after the session is terminated. We use information collected to: (1) allow for better site functionality while you are visiting the Sites; (2) provide you with information about services and products that we think may be of interest to you; and (3) to collect aggregate (non-personalized) data.
- If you send a third party a communication from the Sites or mobile applications, such as sending a friend a news article or information about a job opening, we may use this information on a one- time basis to facilitate the communication. We will not use it for any other marketing purpose, unless we obtain consent from that third party.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Information We May Share
- We may use third party vendors to perform certain services on behalf of the Company, such as hosting the Sites and mobile applications, designing and/or operating website features, tracking website analytics, enabling you to purchase any goods and/or services, and allowing us to send you e-mail newsletters or perform other administrative services as well as performing other services at your request or with your consent that relate to the Company's products or services, such as, but not limited to, alarm monitoring. We may provide third parties with access to your information, including your personal information, to carry out the services that these parties are performing for you or for us.
- Access to certain areas of the Sites and mobile applications may be provided to you in association with third parties and may require you to disclose personal information in order to register for and access products and/or services. Such co-branded areas will identify the third party associates. If you elect to register for products and/or services at co-branded areas you may be providing your information to both us and the third party associates. Further, if you sign-in to a co-branded area with a username and password obtained on the Sites and mobile applications, your personal information may be disclosed to the identified third party associates for that co-branded area and will be subject to the third party associates' privacy policies.
- Business Transfer: We may share your personal information with our subsidiaries and affiliates for internal purposes. We also reserve the right to disclose and transfer all information related to the Sites and mobile applications, including, without limitation, your personal, demographic, and usage information for the following purposes: (1) to a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of the Sites and mobile applications or an applicable database, or (2) in connection with a corporate or other entity-form merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets or other corporate or other entity-form change, including, without limitation, during the course of any due diligence process.
Information That You Share Publicly
We encourage you to think carefully about the type of UGC that you share through social media sites, particularly your personal information.
The Company does not control who will have access to your UGC and therefore cannot control how your UGC is used.
- We may use and publish your name, voice or likeness, or other personal information that is part (or the whole) of your UGC for marketing, promotional activities, publicity, and advertising purposes.
Third Party Content and Links
The Sites and mobile applications may contain content provided by third parties. Those third parties may collect information about your website usage, including information specific to your mobile device or computer (e.g. IP address) when pages from the Sites and mobile applications are served to your web browser. Further, when you click on a third party link from the Sites and mobile applications (including, without limitation, banner advertisements), that link will take you to a website(s) controlled and operated by third parties that the Company does not control.
Third Party Advertisements and/or Analytics: The Sites and mobile applications may serve third party advertisements and may use third party analytics service providers to provide us with statistical information about your use of the Sites and mobile applications. These third parties may display advertisement banners based on an analytics of the statistical data regarding your visits to the Sites or mobile applications, among other information, in order to tailor advertisements that may interest you. These third parties typically install cookies or other tracking technologies to monitor and record certain behavioral statistics that assist with targeted advertising practices.
Protection of Your Personal Information: The Company employs reasonable efforts to protect the personal information that you share when you contact the Sites or mobile applications.
However, note that it is not possible to secure all transmissions made over the internet or through other content/information sharing devices. WE DO NOT WARRANT OR REPRESENT THAT WE CAN GUARANTY THE SECURITY OF ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU TRANSMIT TO US WHEN YOU USE COMPANY WEBSITES AND MOBILE APPLICATIONS. YOU PROVIDE SUCH PERSONAL INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.
In the event of a data or security breach that may compromise your personal information, the Company will make commercially reasonable efforts to notify you and/or the requisite governmental or other regulatory agency promptly and as required by law.
- Children under the Age of 13: The Sites and mobile applications are intended for the general audience over the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under the age of 13 we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
Your Ability to Review your Personal Information and Request Changes
- To change the types of communication that you receive from the Company or how you receive such communications, simply cancel or modify your communication preferences by following the instructions in the e-mail or communication that you received or by logging into your account with any of the Sites or mobile applications and changing your communication preferences.
If you are Outside of the United States
- The Sites and mobile applications are located in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that the information we collect will be transferred, stored, and processed in the United States. When you contact The Sites and mobile applications, you are automatically consenting to our standard practice of processing, storing, and transferring your personal information within the United States. Note that data protection and privacy laws are different in every country. You are responsible for learning the data protection and online privacy laws of your own country.